Kick off your day with an indulgent brunch! This recipe for Eggs Royale is easy to prepare and will be on your plate in less than half an hour – go on spoil yourself!
“Eggs Royale is the perfect brunch indulgence, with its buttery English muffin, savoury smoked salmon, and perfectly poached eggs topped with creamy hollandaise sauce – all prepared within 30 minutes. Bon appétit!” – Chef Tommy Wong, Chef de Cuisine at Alley on 25, Andaz Singapore
Ingredients for Eggs Royale
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4 free-range eggs
- 2 toasting muffins, cut into halves
- 4 slices smoked salmon
- Chopped chives as garnish
- Crushed black pepper as garnish
- 125g butter
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon white wine vinegar or tarragon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
- Salt to taste
Instructions for Eggs Royale
- Bring at least two litres of water to boil, then add three tablespoons of white wine vinegar. Lower the heat down to a gentle simmer.
- Break the eggs into four separate coffee cups or ramekins.
- Split the muffins and toast them for a few minutes on either side.
- To make the hollandaise sauce, melt butter in a saucepan and skim any white solids from the surface. Keep the butter warm.
- Put the egg yolks, white wine vinegar and a pinch of salt in a metal or glass bowl that will fit over a small pan. Whisk for a few minutes, then put the bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk continuously until the mixture is pale and thick. This will take between three to five minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and slowly whisk in the melted butter bit by bit, until it’s well-blended and you have a creamy hollandaise (mix in some water if the mixture gets too thick). Season with lemon juice and keep warm until needed.
- To make the Eggs Royale, swirl the vinegar and water mixture briskly to form a vortex and slide in an egg. Cook for two to three minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon. Repeat the process with the other eggs, one at a time, swirling the water each time you slide in the eggs.
- To serve, spread some hollandaise sauce on each muffin, add a slice of smoked salmon on top, then top with an egg. Spoon over the remaining hollandaise and garnish with chopped chives and crushed black pepper.
Like this? See more great brunch and other recipe ideas in our Wine & Dine section!