Hong Kong has dropped most of its Covid-19 restrictions and recently started allowing unvaccinated tourists to enter the city. The SAR is now ready to welcome visitors to experience everything the city has to offer — from dim sum and street markets, to hikes and beaches. Read on to find out how you can win free airline tickets to and from Hong Kong, as well as complimentary drinks, cash vouchers, and other goodies.
What is Hello Hong Kong?
The government recently launched Hello Hong Kong, a promotional campaign to encourage tourists to visit the city. The biggest draw of the campaign is the giveaway of more than 700,000 free airline tickets to and from Hong Kong. It’s important to note that only 65% of these tickets will be given to travellers, while the rest are reserved for government bodies to promote tourism in the city.
The tickets will be for round-trip economy flights on three Hong Kong-based airlines: Cathay Pacific, HK Express, and Hong Kong Airlines. Travellers will only have to pay the taxes, surcharges, and fees that apply to them. There are other incentives for visitors, such as welcome drinks, cash vouchers, and gifts.
How can tourists get their free tickets?
Tourists will get 500,000 free tickets, which the airlines will distribute in different ways: buy-one-get-one-free promotions, lucky draws, competitive games, or on a first-come-first-served basis.
The campaign is called the “World of Winners” campaign, and those interested in getting these tickets should visit the airline websites to check when the offers kick off and subscribe to the newsletters to get reminders:
When can tourists get these free tickets?
The ticket giveaways will run from March 1, 2023 till September 2023. They will be distributed to travellers from different regions based on the pre-pandemic pattern of visitors to Hong Kong. Here is the schedule of when the tickets will become available to tourists:
- March 1 onwards: Southeast Asia (Thailand, the Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore)
- April onwards: Mainland China
- May onwards: Northeast Asia (Japan and South Korea) and other regions
How can Hongkongers get their tickets?
Hong Kong residents will get 80,000 free airline tickets from July 2023 onwards, and should check the airline websites to see when the giveaways will begin.
There were also 60,000 tickets distributed to encourage residents to get their Covid-19 vaccinations in 2021, and there will be additional tickets for travellers from the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area.
Consumption vouchers for tourists
Visitors in Hong Kong for less than 90 days can get free drinks and great deals at restaurants, shops, and attractions as part of the HK Goodies programme.
- Complimentary drinks: Visitors can get one free drink each worth over HK$100 from more than 100 bars, restaurants, and hotels in Hong Kong, including Argo, which made Asia’s 50 Best Bars list in 2022.
- Cash vouchers: Tourists can get HK$100 off at any one of over 140 restaurants, shops or attractions in the city, without needing to meet a minimum-spend requirement.
- Gifts: Travellers to Hong Kong van get an exclusive gift worth over HK$100 at several attractions and museums the city to take back home as souvenirs.
The coupons are valid for 30 days after visitors get them. Once they expire, they will not be reissued.
Where to get the vouchers?
Travellers can head to any one of the following Hong Kong Tourism Board Visitor Centres to pick up their vouchers:
- Hong Kong International Airport Visitor Centre
- Kowloon Visitor Centre
- Hong Kong West Kowloon Visitor Centre
- Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge Hong Kong Port Visitor Centre
- Heung Yuen Wai Visitor Centre
How to redeem HK Goodies?
Visitors can only redeem these offers once with a non-Hong Kong mobile phone number by:
- Scanning the QR code on their redemption cards with their non-Hong Kong mobile number to register an account.
- Selecting the Hong Kong Goodies visitor consumption voucher of their choice, and choosing the bar, hotel, restaurant or attraction that they wish to redeem the voucher at.
- Using the coupon by scanning the Hong Kong Tourism Board QR code at the merchant’s physical store.
Receive the latest news about the campaigns in your mailbox
Do not miss any announcements about the “Hello Hong Kong” and the “World of Winners” campaigns by subscribing to our newsletter. This guide will be frequently updated.
Header image credits: GovHK